Heapey Fold Lane

This Lane passes Healey Nab on the east side and is roughly on an alignment with the Street, a farm which is located on the western edge of the Upper Rivington Reservoir.In the 1960’s George Birtill, who was local historian and former Mayor of Chorley, wrote a book about Rivington and Anglezarke entitled The Enchanted Hills. In it he talks about the Street, saying “the name goes back to Roman times and it is surmised that the Street was part of a road linking Blackrod and another Roman camp“.

6 inch OS Map of 1849 (1st Edition – before the reservoir was built)

With this in mind, in 1962 members of the Chorley Archaeological Society carried out a small excavation on Heapey Fold Lane. Jack Smith, former chairman of the Society took part in the excavations and describes the location as not far north of Kays Farm near a “tenon top” stone gate post. What they found was a cobble surface and kerbing pointing in the general direction of Heapey. Here are photos of their excavations, kindly supplied by Jack. The kerbing was found on the east side of the track so this view must be looking north towards the Nab. In view are Mr & Mrs Tootall and Mr T CrearThe cobbling shown in photo looks suggestive but the road width could not be determined as only the east side was excavated (although Jack’s proposal was 4 metres). The ‘Tenon Top’ gate post is still there but from these photos it is difficult to located exactly where the dig took place.  As can be seen from this 1849 overlay, the track has shifted over the years and the Croston’s Heights farmstead had disappeared but presumably the excavation was somewhere in that vicinity. This photo is a view of the Nab looking north from Croston’s Heights (note the white marker post – the tell-tail sign of the gas pipeline put in many years ago). The next series of photos are views of various locations south of this position which are possible locations for the excavation (although none specifically match Jack’s B&W photos).
Looking northLooking eastLooking south
Looking north Looking eastLooking southThink we probably need another word with Jack.